A Culture Safari is an opportunity to engage organizational members in observing their own experience, reflecting on it and considering the way that beliefs, behaviors and practices are operating in the work environment. Just like when we go on a safari, our observation becomes acute. We watch, we reflect and we consider the way the environment is operating and what needs to be different to achieve future success.
The CULTURE-STRATEGY FIT® Culture Safari photographic method can be used in workshops, focus groups and leadership sessions. It is a fast-paced approach for engaging leaders and organization members in sharing perspectives and experiences of the current culture and the way it operates and, as well, the future culture needed to deliver strategy and goals. See PDF Culture Safari Workshop.
The Culture Safari Leader’s Guide will provide you with the information needed to facilitate this as a Current Culture or a Future Culture Workshop.
The Culture Safari
Imagine an activity where participants go on a photographic safari of their workplace searching for images that, in their view, best capture their organization’s current culture or the culture the organization needs to achieve its goals.
They bring these images to a workshop where they are merged with the photographs of the other participants to create a culture collage. The culture collage is used to explore similarities and differences in members’ experiences and perspectives.
The end result is a visual and written representation of an organization or group’s current culture that can be used as a means to explore its strengths and the way it operates as well as the desired culture.
It can be used to introduce key concepts such as the levels of culture, the role of subcultures, the relationship between culture and performance and the difference between national and organizational culture.
- Group size: 5+
- Pre-work assignment: Participants take photos of objects and other artifacts from their workplace that they believe capture the current and/or future culture.
- Rule: No people in the pictures.
- Format: Focus group or workshop
- Materials: Include MS PPT presentation and a detailed and descriptive 55 page Leader’s Guide.
- Length of activity:
- Module 1 Current Culture –2 hours (can be shortened to 1 hour 30 minutes in Leadership Development applications)
- Module2 Future Culture – 2 hours 15 minutes (can be shortened to 1 hour 15 minutes in Leadership Development Applications)
When to Use It
There are many applications for using a Culture Safari from focus groups to division meetings to leadership development programs. Read more
Licensed PDF CULTURE-STRATEGY FIT® Culture Safari Leader’s Guide and MS PowerPoint Presentation emailed to you for your use. $175 USD