The CULTURE-STRATEGY FIT® Survey brings an organization’s unique culture to life. This research-based, data-driven survey will help you:
- Understand culture strengths
- Identify culture development needs
- Gain insights into culture dynamics
- Describe sub-culture differences
- Set culture priorities
- Take targeted action
- Measure culture development over time
The CULTURE-STRATEGY FIT® Survey reveals the way the culture is operating by measuring 8 culture dimensions and 35 culture patterns. Organizations can add a strategic focus module from several that best fits their context and strategy.
More than Engagement
Engagement is one, very important aspect of culture but it is not the only dimension impacting high performance and strategy execution. Culture includes other aspects of the “way things get done around here” (Deal & Kennedy). We think of culture as, “the values, underlying beliefs and assumptions that guide action and are learned and shared by members of groups as they strive to fulfill their purpose.” (Edgar Schein). A broader view of group norms and beliefs is vital.
The CULTURE-STRATEGY FIT® Survey has a unique focus on 35 patterns of behaviors and practices for high performance and their inter-play. By adding a Strategic Focus Module, (such as Customer Experience, Innovation, Operational Excellence, Driving Change) the question of culture fit to strategy can be further assessed.
All of this provides a more comprehensive story of organizational DNA, its strengths and development needs, and where leaders and their teams, collectively, need to focus for future success. See Culture-Strategy Fit Survey brochure.
- Globally appropriate, research-based survey
- 85 surveys statements, 2 questions, 15-20 minute survey
- Option to add a strategic focus module, 15 statements, 5 minutes
- Simple, business language
- Rapidly activated, confidential on-line survey
- Industry-leading data security
- Use desk top, phone or tablet
- Culture scorecard, profile and scorecarded data displays
- E-mail invitations and reminders for high participation rates
- Survey available in most languages, report in English
The CULTURE-STRATEGY FIT® Survey uses a scorecard approach to reveal the story of the culture and how it will support high performance and strategy. It helps organizations quickly identify culture strengths and areas requiring attention. This culture scorecard includes the Optional Strategic Focus area Driving Change.
A Culture Profile reveals differences by Group and/or Level. Bar graphs by Culture Dimension, such as Agility and scorecarded culture patterns such as Risk Taking help unpack the story of the way culture is operating. By examining the way culture patterns inter-relate within and across dimensions, culture dynamics can be identified that create unique organizational DNA or impede future success. Here is a sample report. Culture-Strategy Fit Report Sample
Research Underlying the Survey
The CULTURE-STRATEGY FIT® Survey is anchored in research conducted over 15 years into the most influential factors creating high performance cultures and supporting specific strategies. It is founded on constructs from both national and organizational culture research by Hofstede, Trompenaars and House so it is well positioned for use in organizations from large global companies to small partnerships.
How It Works
Our Culture Resource Center provides a quality survey experience for all parties. By pre-loading e-mail addresses and demographic data, the organization can be assured that all participants will be allocated to the right group. For users, the quick launch of the survey from a third-party mitigates concerns about confidentiality and provides convenient, mobile access. For data security, we employ industry-leading privacy and security measures. This approach results in higher participation rates, increased candor and data accuracy, plus greater satisfaction with the survey process. Two tools help with organizing for the survey. The typical process is:
Identify Your Needs
- You identify the desired survey languages, reports and schedule
- You summarize this on the Intake Tool and send it to the Culture Resource Center
- We confirm the schedule for your survey and commit to your report delivery date(s)
- We provide the Getting Organized Tool for survey set-up. This provides information on firewall whitelisting, testing, status reporting and requirements for the employee data upload file.
Set-up and Run Survey
- You provide the employee data Upload File
- You provide IT with whitelisting information so the survey will not be blocked
- You complete a technology (firewall) and content test of the survey before launch
- You send employees a communication about the purpose of the survey with start and end date
- Our secure survey engine sends participants an email invitation with their personal link
- Participation status reports and are most often sent twice a week
- You receive your reports within 4 business days, or as agreed
All of our reports provide quick to understand scorecards, profiles and data displays. Call us for a sample report. These are robust and help you understand the story of the culture. We have two approaches to reports: You Do It and We Help.
You Do It
A comprehensive report for you to work with:
- PDF Word-type report format; PPT with all data displays optional
- Comparison by Group (or Level, Location, etc.)
- Culture Scorecard and Profile
- Top and Bottom 3 Culture Patterns with descriptive comments (see right)
- Top and Bottom 5 Statements
- Dimension graphs and score-carded culture pattern data displays
- Open-ended responses sorted by Group (or other)
- Additional demographic reports, as desired
- A report walk through – A culture expert will walk you through your report
- An interpreted report – Our culture experts interpret your results and provide you with a presentation of the Culture-Strategy Fit Survey findings describing culture strengths and opportunity areas revealed in the data and through the responses to the open-ended questions. Call us for a sample of this report.
- Advisory services – Coaching from a culture expert on interpretation of reports, how to organize for a culture survey or facilitate report debriefs and action planning
Survey Pricing and Options
There are a range of options to choose from. Options and survey fees for less than 2500 participants are described in Culture-Strategy Fit Survey.
Consider This Survey When You Need to…
- Establish a hard-to-imitate culture as a competitive advantage
- Deliver new strategies and accelerate transformation
- Align your culture to your brand promise
- Get rid of culture drag holding people back from doing their best
- Bolster productivity and invigorate groups
- Attract and retain exceptional talent
- Manage the risk of ethical, integrity or other violations
In our early years, we didn’t talk about culture much. We hadn’t documented it all. We just built a business that we wanted to work in. And, that was great. But the real return on culture happened when we started getting more deliberate about it. By writing it down. By debating it. By taking it apart, polishing the pieces and putting it back together. Iterating. Again. And again. Dharmesh Shah, Co-founder, Hubspot
We’re ready to help you know your culture DNA and where to put your attention.